Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Extravaganza!

As the holidays have approached us, I've been a little more busy than usual working. I spent a couple of days last week working.... mostly on Thanksgiving Centerpieces.... so I thought I'd share what I've been up to.

This centerpiece was $100 ------I'm not sure that the picture does it justice, it really was beautiful! (A full 2 feet long!) One of my favorite things to do is mix traditional holiday greens (like evergreens) and tropical flowers. This order was for a thanksgiving dinner, and I enjoyed the challenge of bringing something different and unusual to the dinner table. I think the customer was very satisfied.


On a smaller scale, this centerpiece was around $35. Again, I think we have a little mixture of pine evergreens and tropical red leucedendrons. By the way, these centerpieces smell delicious with ceder, and heather ---- that's the white spiky looking flower.
MMMMmmmmmm..................I love the smell of heather, it's pretty strong. Similar lilies, paperwhites, freesia, tuber roses, hyacinths.... the smell of heather is quite a strong fragrance, either you love it or hate it.
********************Note: if you are sending flowers to someone in the hospital, you might specifically request that your florist NOT send strong fragrant flowers.... unless you know the receiver would enjoy the smell. Odors are intensified in small hospital rooms... and patients tend to get a full dose of the fragrance.

This centerpiece was something a little more traditional which includes: chrysanthemums, salidago-- the yellow fluffy flower-- snapdragons, and carnations. These flowers are more common in most shops, so if your looking for something different... you MUST be specific!


This was just a different variety of greenery and flowers. I used peach roses, autumn mums, leucedendrons, and peachy/ orange carnations.


This centerpiece below was specifically ordered for some children ages 1-3 years old. If you look closely there are some little porcelain ducks tucked into the flowers. The sender wasn't pleased with this arrangement because she wanted something more "grand". Don't ask why she expected something more "grand" for a 3 year old's dinner table, but she did. This centerpiece was 18" diameter with multiple flowers, and a variety of greens.... making the total $65. I WISH I could afford to spend $65 on my 16 month old's dinner table centerpiece!


The same lady ordered this "BSU Bronco" themed centerpeice...... it was for some boys who were ages 5-8 years old. Again, she wasn't pleased--- who has the money to order three saperate centerpieces for a Thanksgiving table? NOT ME?!!


This last centerpiece was a mixture of yellow spider mums, peach roses, heather, salidago, green hypericum berries, and white alstromeria. It was also $65 and think it turned out quite nicely!


Wishing all of you Happy Holidays... may the real spirit of this holiday cheer be with you all the rest of the year!

2 comments:

lindquist said...

Obviously that lady was smokin' crack. First of all cuz' she's ordering flowers for kids? Hmm... and secondly cuz' the arrangements are beautiful.

I remember when I was doing woodworking and a friend of a freind asked for a specifically painted bird house. Since I didn't know the lady personally and the message was relayed to me through a friend, I guess I didn't quite catch the same 'vision' of what she had in mind. I repainted that dang birdhouse THREE different times with THREE totally different styles. I think she finally took it cuz' she felt bad that I'd done the work three times the amount of what I was paid for. Oh well...

I like the first big arrangement the best of all the ones in this group. Good job, Kate!

Kati Howard said...

Yeah.. well John "did" her arrangements last year and they were "phenomenal". I also happen to have the notion that they were WELL beyong $65. We get screwwed with alot of people like that because of crap John "did". She's also a big account from the St. Lukes hopsital so we have to make her happy.... Carol saw them and agreed they looked great. The lady just had a Christmas tree up her @$$.

Merry Christmas huh? :o)

Search This Blog