Tuesday, April 14, 2009

So Suzie Q.... who's your date to the prom?

Wow! It's been a while, once again.


I haven't worked since Valentines Day...boy was it was crazy then, and MY oh MY was it was crazy this time around! For all those people out there who aren't Florists, you probably don't realize it's just the beginning of Wedding season, and Pre-Mother's Day (The biggest holiday of the year for Flower Shops minus Valentines Day) and PROM season. I got called into work two weeks ago because things have really picked up for our shop. Those of you living here in the Boise area probably saw the news headlines of all the local Flower Shops that either have, or are, going out of business. It's really sad, however, it does mean that all the business which was dispersed among 20 or more shops is just down to 10 shops. This means I get called into work more often, sometimes more often than I'd like. But on the flip side, who can complain these days that business is booming?

Last Thursday our shop was invited to attend a "Prom Expo" at Borah High School. It really was a first that I've seen.... the studen counsel put the event together, which was held during the lunch hour of school. It was interesting, and if anything we probably got out more advertisement than actual orders. All in all, it wasn't a loss. Borah's Prom isn't until May 9th, conveniently right before Mother's Day-- the second biggest holiday of the year. So we will see how our efforts paid off then.

In the meantime, I have spent 40+ hours working last week. I worked on 10 hours on Friday making dozens of corsages and boutonnieres for 4 proms that were taking place on Saturday. Who does that? I mean, who schedules 4 proms on one night? It was blissful making corsages and boutonnieres ALL day long. Literately! I think my fingertips have been rubbed raw, which I suppose would mean it's the perfect time to rob a bank.... since my prints are all smudged. :o)

All in good humor.

This is what I have to show though:

The Florist at Edward's differs from other shops in the fact that we receive fresh tropical flowers from Hawaii every week. One of our most popular requests are dendrobian orchids. They are most requested for corsages and boutonnieres also!

It's pretty standard to use white spray roses in addition to the white dendrobian orchids.


On occassion we get people who ask specifically for color in addition to the traditional white flowers, like in the corasge below.

The Florist at Edward's never uses baby's breath, or gypsophilia, in arrangements or dance flowers... unless specifically asked for by the customer, like in this corasge below. I do not prefer to use it either.



The red spray roses were among my favorite corsages.


This mini yellow calla lily turned out quite nice. Simple, clean, and masculine.


I also loved the coral corsages.




The hot pink spray roses looked pretty nice also.

This customer requested something contemporary.... so I used a combination of white spray roses, dendrobian orchids, hypericum berries, bear grass, and bells of Ireland.


I loved this combo:


Happy Prom Season!

Remember to order ahead, so your florist can pre-order any specific colors you want for your flowers. Also, please contact me if you would like some of the work above done for you dance at a discounted price.


No comments:

Search This Blog